The Forum aims to promote Scotland’s geodiversity, and seeks to widen the profile of geodiversity and influence national and local policies. It is the Scottish national forum for geoconservation groups, geoparks and other related organisations, and interested individuals. The Forum promotes the role and value of geodiversity in education, community involvement and health, the development of tourism and the wider economy.
The Forum is open to all organisations and individuals who are interested in promoting Scotland’s geodiversity and the sharing of experience and good practice. We have a close working relationship with GeoConservation UK (GCUK) and are represented on the Geoconservation Committee of the Geological Society of London.
The Forum runs the scottishgeology.com website, organises conferences and other events, and works with our members and partners to promote Scotland’s geodiversity. Our key priorities are:
1. Implementation of Scotland’s Geodiversity Charter Work with partners to embed geodiversity into existing activities and develop new projects.
2. Geoconservation Encourage all local authorities to carry out local site audits and include sites in local plans. Support local geoconservation groups through networking and events.
3. Education Campaign for the establishment of new Earth Science qualifications, made widely available in Scottish schools, at National and Higher level, and support and campaign for more opportunities for teacher training in Earth science at all levels.
4. Interpretation Work with other organisations to include accurate and meaningful geodiversity in their interpretation.
5. Tourism Work with VisitScotland, geoparks and tourism organisations to promote Scotland’s geodiversity as the foundation of our scenery; develop better awareness within the industry of existing interpretation and information, and work to develop more resources.
Patron: Iain Stewart, MBE FGS, Director of the Sustainable Earth Institute,
School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Plymouth University.
Chair: Angus Miller – email@example.com
Vice-chair: Mike Browne
Secretary: Gavin Eardley; Depute secretary: Kate Saunders
Treasurer: Hugh Lockhart
Membership Secretary: Margaret Greene – firstname.lastname@example.org
Ordinary members: Sarah Stewart, Beverly Bergman, Simon Cuthbert, Andrew McMillan, John Gordon, Neil Clark, Jennifer Roberts, Jim Blair, Lara Reid.
Scottish Natural Heritage rep: Colin MacFadyen
British Geological Survey rep: Katie Whitbread
Dynamic Earth rep: Hermione Cockburn
Royal Scottish Geographical Society rep: Mike Robinson.